Saturday, December 16, 2017

SODIUM - A HIDDEN OBSTACLE TO YOUR WEIGHT LOSS?

EYE OPENER - IMPORTANT READ!
For anyone struggling, please, I encourage you to do this experiment... It was beyond eye opening for me.

We all know we are supposed to watch our salt intake for numerous reasons but most people really don't have any clue about how much sodium they are getting in a day or how it effects things.

I do not add salt to my cooking, use reduced sodium seasonings, make reduced sodium choices on things and tend to make pretty good choices in terms of less salty foods when I am out...

Having said that - after a discussion on one of my groups the other day, I thought for curiosity sake I would track an average eating day for me just to see what I actually was doing salt wise.

Not all apps track or record Sodium (I downloaded several) and finally found the SparkPeople's app does so I entered Tuesday's log in.

Rotisserie Chicken Breast
Tilapia / Potato / Sugar Snaps
Summer Salad with FF Cottage Cheese/FF Feta
Veggie Straws
Halo Top


I was within my points for the day and this is relatively representative of an average day though normally I would have had at least 2 pieces of fruit as well in addition to the apple and strawberry in my salad.

Okay so calorie intake goal for me is 1300-1500 and this was 1466. Check!

Steps goal: 3500 (I am often physically limited to what I can do so this is my goal for now as my average has been 1500-2000/day before starting) - 6400 steps. Check!

Water intake goal: 64oz (4 bottles) - 3 bottles. Not quite.

So if I was just using this as a marker for success - other than water, I had a successful day.

The recommended daily intake of sodium for someone like me with high blood pressure should be 1500-2000mg / day aiming to always be on the low end. Healthy people (no obesity or comorbid conditions) are recommended no more than 2300-2400mg/day. Daily sodium intake: 3823! Almost double what I should have!

What! Where did that come from?

I knew the prepackaged Tilapia, Feta, Ponzu had it but I didn't realize how much - here are some of the results:

Cottage Cheese FF - 350mg/serve 2tbsp
Ponzu (low sodium citris/soy dressing) - 825mg
Tilapia (as packaged with sauce) - 900mg
Feta FF - 250mg
Veggie Straws - 320mg
Halo Top - 240mg
Rotisserie Chicken Breast (no skin) - 836mg

WOW!!
But really, does it even matter?

I decided to do a little research and it seems that when we increase our sodium intake to even 1 1/2 times the normal recommended ratio, you can hold up to an additional 4 cups of water retention which is 2 pounds.

If someone has truly excessive daily sodium intake, that number can cause water retention of up to 5 pounds reportedly. And this is not taking into consideration anything to do with PMS or not drinking enough water. This is just a sodium contribution.

Amazed by this, I decided to go back and track a day where I actually had choices that were within the plan but involved me eating out. (The dates don't match up because I just chose a random day in the SparkPeople app to log on)... 

If I thought I was shocked about a day when I ate properly this was simply mind-blowing.

Chicken Hot Dogs (no bun or anything - strange I know)
Taco Bell Cantina Power Bowl
Taco Bell Doritos Taco
Pork Chop (no bone)
Asparagus 
Summer Salad with Cottage Cheese/Feta
Rice Cakes
Orange

Within Points: Yes
Calories: 1885 - OVER
Sodium intake: 6253!!!!

More than FOUR times what I should have!


I know this post is long, but guys, do you have any idea how this effects you?

I'm not even talking about potassium restriction and kidney function issues here... Just the effect of excess sodium on weight loss...

We see so many people who are struggling to make this work and feel like they are failing.

What if the simple observation of sodium could be the thing that changes your success? That changes how you lose weight esp if you get stuck?

I CHALLENGE EACH OF YOU TO TAKE JUST ONE DAY OF AVERAGE EATING, AND ONE DAY OF PROBABLE HIGH SODIUM EATING, AND TRACK IT.

It could be a truly life/diet changing revelation... I'd love to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment