Wednesday, February 15, 2017
IBS-D and WEIGHT LOSS
I guess now is as good a time as any to introduce you to my other body personality. Meet Junior.
In late 2004, I was finally diagnosed with IBS-D after many years of symptoms and dietary rule outs. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) can be brought on by many things but in my case, we think that after my second Oopherectomy, when placing the intestines back in place, they were kinked or pretzeled in some way - and TA-DA - I get the joys of an improperly functioning digestive system.
For the most part this means I look pregnant most of the time, always need to know where the nearest bathroom is and have an escape plan mapped out in any new location, can't overdue it with stress, heat or exercise without causing a major flare (which is never pretty) and generally worry about the 30 second warning that I get before imminent doom.
When I was doing WW in New Zealand, I used to walk to my meetings but had to wait until the end of the meeting to weigh in because of how much bloating and stomach upset I would get from doing the walking there. Over the many years of sitting in public rubbing my poor swollen belly, many people have asked when I was expecting or how far along I was. It became a bit of a running joke that Junior was 10yrs overdue and it stuck.
Junior is now code for those who know me, that I need to excuse myself - and fast. Thank goodness for understanding friends. On more than one occasion I have had to cancel plans or leave early due to the little monster.
But the worst part - in scary honesty - is the bowel incontinence. To be out on a walk, or even shopping in town and get that 30 warning blargle with accompanying cramps and know there is nothing you can do about it. I keep a change of clothes in the car at all times but there is just nothing to stop the avalanche once it starts.
After a very embarrassing and disgusting episode walking with some friends from my WW meeting and another not even a week later while walking alone at night - both of which left me in a smelly and compromising situation - I really began to watch where and when I walked.
Of course movement is key to weight loss for most people and to have this option put on severe restriction due to the possibility of a horrific explosion in route - well it sucks frankly.
So if somewhere along this journey you hear about Junior - my IBS baby - you'll know him. He is always around - some days he is just crankier than others!
Labels:
Buddha Belly
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment