Sunday, February 3, 2019

VARIANCES IN FULL, LIGHT & FAT FREE




CREAM CHEESE VARIANCES
We were talking about cream cheese variations for the Creamy Crockpot Salsa Chicken and I just thought I would share with you a little information. I used the Kroger brand across the board for uniformity.

I use full fat/light in my cooking - and here's why.

Basically 1oz of full-fat cream cheese, which has an ingredient label that I can have everything on, is 90 calories/oz.

The Neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat) is identical in ingredient label except that they use a skim milk for part of it. This means that it is 70 calories/oz.

Then you look at the fat-free version. The ingredient label triples and contains many items that I can't have. Yes, the caloric value drops to 30 calories/oz but you are completely changing what you're actually eating.

For people who have no reactivity issues, this could still be an option but if you have any intolerances or unexplained weird food reactions, it may be something as simple as Carrageenan or a type of gum or emulsifier that you haven't picked up on being a problem.

You may not be dairy intolerant. You may be additive intolerant. There's a huge difference in the ingredient labels between a full fat and fat free version.

No comments:

Post a Comment