We know that consuming too many fatty highly processed foods isn't good for us - but over the past 10yrs or so, it has been said that eating diet foods can also cause problems...
I, for one, have no food intolerances BUT can not handle artificial sweeteners so I have always avoided them. But tonight sparks a thought that it isn't that simple for me.
I am 98% sure now that this stomach issue IS an IBS reaction - to food additives.
Bear with me for a minute:
** So far I know I react strongly to artificial sweeteners... No problem...I know to avoid those with saccharin, acesulfame, aspartame being the worse but I even react to Stevia and Truvia.
** Problem seems to have started majorly with switch to fat free products for a week (18lb gain in 2 days)...
This morning's weigh in: DOWN -11.4lbs
265.0 - relatively okay gut...some swelling but certainly not what it has been.
So lets say I started the day at about a 3-4 for swelling and discomfort.
I decided to monitor not only what I ate but also how it affected my gut. I over the course of the day I had:
Leftover El Patio Fajita - tortilla, steak/chicken, lettuce, Pico, sour cream (assuming full fat)
** little to no gut reaction including up to 4 hours later**
--------------------------------------------
Avocado on Quaker Rice Cakes
Tuna (canned)
** increased swelling within 10-15min of eating, not super hard but noticeable and took issues to a 5-6 - so I added those three items to a list of possibilities **
--------------------------------------------
Venison Steak 8oz
2tbsp Reduced Fat Sour Cream
Green Beans
** immediate reaction - before I was even finished eating - swelling was tight and hard - definite 10 on discomfort scale**
So what did lunch have in common with dinner additives wise? Here are some label bits I started looking into...
Tuna seemed to be okay...
Rice Cakes have a few questionable items but I have been eating them for a long time with no issues so I didn't think it was them...but a quick look at MALTODEXTRIN reveals it is likely the culprit to the increase swelling at lunch.
Okay so this puts MALTODEXTRIN on my radar as a moderate agitator.
Then we look at dinner - the only thing processed I had was Kroger Reduced Fat Sour Cream. 2tbsp. But dinner caused an immediate and very noticeable reaction - so what the heck is in there that I'm reacting to so much?
Possible culprits include Cultured Dextrose, Carrageenan and Sodium Phosphate
AND THIS BOYS AND GIRLS IS WHERE IT GOT REAL INTERESTING!
Now I know everyone has different ideas on additives ranging from they are the heart of all things evil to they really aren't a big deal, so I take any negative articles about things with a grain of salt.
Cultured Dextrose - https://www.fedup.com.au/news/blog/caution-cultured-dextrose
CONCLUSION: Possible moderate reaction but nothing overly scary
-----------------------------------------------
** Hhhmmmmm - interesting - further research uncovers: **
Could this be the problem? I have spent several hours tonight looking over articles and forums and it seems like a definite possibility!
CONCLUSION: Highly likely to be an issue
And the good news is that Dairy Light Sour Cream contains none of that so I wouldn't have to give up my Sour Cream - just switch brands.
I'm not saying this is it for sure but it gives me another place to start since everything else seems okay...I'm going to track all additives and food possibilities over the next 2 weeks till my next doctors appointment and we'll see what happens...
The dinner reaction was pretty immediate and from as little as 2tbsp...
It's crazy... I am back to swollen tick state... Looks like I will be doing a fridge and cupboard clean out tomorrow...











No comments:
Post a Comment