Friday, June 9, 2017

TASTEBUD ADVENTURE CHALLENGE 2017



White Wine and Garlic Mussels

Ages ago I had some mussels at Red Lobster and when I was shopping this week, Kroger had bags of live mussels for $4.99. I thought I might try to replicate a similar dish tonight. I've never cooked mussels before but a quick Google search got me sorted.


Soak mussels for 20min in cold water to let them release water and any sand.  Remove any beards (the seaweedy looking bits in the seams), check for any dead ones (open shells that don't close after you tap them) and scrub the outer shells.  This 2lb bag yielded 1.10lbs after about 10 deads were removed.

It was at this point I realized I did not have a corkscrew to open the wine (since I don't drink I didn't have one) nor a pot really big enough - so while they are soaking I ran down to the store - LOL


In dutch oven or preferably a stock pot - I lightly browned garlic, onions in butter with some dried seasoning as I had forgotten fresh herbs on my shopping trip.


Add half a can of ROTEL diced tomatoes with Lime and Cilantro (including juice)


Add 1 1/2 cups of white wine.  I didn't know what to buy so a nice lady at Kroger said a Chardonney - so that's what I got.  Bring this to a rolling boil.


Once it is boiling nicely - add the mussels and cover with a hopefully tight fitting lid - my dutch oven pot worked okay but I think it would have been better in a stock pot like you were supposed to use.

Simmer for 4-5min until all mussels are open - shaking the pot and stirring a few times.

Results:  It turned out pretty well...not really Red Lobster but close.  Usually served with a crusty bread.  I think next time I would use less wine (I had tons of sauce left over) and fresh herbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment