Thursday, June 15, 2017
NEW ALLERGEN DISCOVERED
Today for lunch I made baked swordfish with tzaziki (greek yogurt, dill and lemon juice), quinoa and salad.
I didn't have any fresh lemon, so I thought this would be okay. I put some on the fish before I baked it and some in the tzaziki. I have used bottled lemon juice before with no issue. Not this brand though.
There must be something going on with my autoimmune system that is making me suddenly reactive to all these things.
Not long after I started eating lunch, I noticed what is becoming a too familiar sensation - scratchy throat starting, my ears felt blocked like I needed to pop them and my eyes started getting hot. Same reaction I had to the Stevia. Immediately took 2 antihistamines...
Time to check labels on the yogurt, quinoa and lemon juice as they were the only processed foods.
I notice Potassium Metabisulfite (Preservative) listed on the lemon juice label - which says 100% Juice BTW - and some research shows this has a "very high" reaction causing level in people with Sulfite group allergies. The FDA requires notification on ingredient labels at more than 10ppm - apparently bottled lemon juice is over 100ppm!!
https://www.verywell.com/sulfite-allergy-82911
This would also explain the small reaction I had when I cooked the mussels, as wine is on the very high list as well.
So Sulfites are now on the "needs more testing" list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment