Wednesday, February 8, 2017

BATTLING ED - ONE MINDFUL MEAL AT A TIME


I have always been a fat girl and I have had issues with food since I can remember.  One of the biggest ones is a panic that food will be gone or taken away before I am full - even if I am alone.  There is an anxiety that hangs over every meal and I eat too fast and far too much, past the point of satiation, almost every time.

This is one of the biggest habits I hope to break now.

I have tried many things - and the most common advice is to eat on a smaller plate, chew more, pause after eating and tell yourself there is always more if you want it.  All very good advice!  It hasn't been enough to break this habit for me but I can totally see where it is coming from.

So I am trying a different approach this time.  I am pushing myself to learn to recognize my full signals and put the food away for later - by starting with a full plate to help tamp down the anxiety.

Instead of getting towards the end of my small plate and starting to get anxious about having "seconds" - I am hoping to be able to set the plate aside when I am full and before the anxiety comes in.  It is easier for me to deal with teaching myself hunger signals than overcoming the anxiety when it reaches a certain point.

I started with late lunch / dinner tonight.  I cooked a nice piece of London Broil I got on sale at Krogers (.66lbs or about 11oz), 4 small red baby potatoes and tons of veggies (snow peas, baby carrots, mushrooms & zucchini).

Okay - no mindless eating - no using the phone or reading - remember to breathe - chew - breathe - rest...I can do this...

Full plate - 2 pieces of steak, 4 baby red potatoes and veggies
In the end, I ate right about half and that was pushing a little bit to finish 1/2 the steak.

Afterwards - and I think this will be key - I wrapped the plate in cling film to stop the fanning the fridge door and picking off the plate issue.  When I am going to eat the rest - I will do so WITH INTENTION.  Unwrap, reheat and sit down to eat as a meal, not graze on mindlessly.  It did feel better this way so lets hope this is the change that will help break the habit for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment