I decided to challenge myself to try one new product a week in my cooking - something I had either never had or never prepared myself. This could be fruit, vegetable, protein or a packaged product.
WEEK 1 - TASTEBUD ADVENTURE CHALLENGE
PRODUCT: Polenta
NEVER TRIED/ NEVER PREPARED: Never Tried
WHERE DID YOU FIND IT: Krogers - Organic / International Section
NEVER TRIED/ NEVER PREPARED: Never Tried
WHERE DID YOU FIND IT: Krogers - Organic / International Section
WHAT DID YOU MAKE WITH IT: Panko Crusted Tilapia with Polenta and Sauteed Asparagus
OKAY ARE WE READY TO TRY SOMETHING NEW?
This week I am trying polenta. Polenta is basically a cornmeal porridge commonly eaten in Italy. I did some research and found it is mostly eaten two ways - as a porridge (creamy) or fried and has been used to make everything from fries and pizza crust to lasagna. I thought maybe I could use it as a substitute for couscous with fish...no one else was but who knows!
This week I am trying polenta. Polenta is basically a cornmeal porridge commonly eaten in Italy. I did some research and found it is mostly eaten two ways - as a porridge (creamy) or fried and has been used to make everything from fries and pizza crust to lasagna. I thought maybe I could use it as a substitute for couscous with fish...no one else was but who knows!
On opening the roll, I was surprised that there was a little liquid in the roll. The roll itself is firm and easy to cut. The recommended serving size is (2) 1/2" slices. I crumbled that into the pan and decided since it was only [2SP] a serving - I would double that.
I tasted it straight from the roll and it has a very light - almost indiscernible flavor on its own - much like couscous. I added some Salt Free Mrs Dash and set about letting it "cook" - it is already fully cooked in the tubes so basically warm up.
Looking good! I discovered very quickly however why it is cooked the way it is normally - while crumbly out of the roll - as soon as it begins to sweat, it wants to become a porridge. It was sticking to the spoon and very gummy. No couscous approximation...LOL
Don't panic - just go with it. I added a little reduced sodium chicken stock and voilà - porridge. I added a little Parmesan cheese [1tbsp] and looking at it now should have used more liquid as I ended up with basically a stiff Cream of Wheat type texture - but it was still tasty.
I let that combine a little - sautéed my asparagus and had to stop myself just eating the polenta while the fish finished cooking. Good thing I need to take pictures for you guys - otherwise I would have just eaten it plain - LOL.
I learned a lot about this great little product and will definitely have it again. I will try making it myself and use the tube one for fries next time I think. 2 SPOONS UP!!
Don't panic - just go with it. I added a little reduced sodium chicken stock and voilà - porridge. I added a little Parmesan cheese [1tbsp] and looking at it now should have used more liquid as I ended up with basically a stiff Cream of Wheat type texture - but it was still tasty.
I let that combine a little - sautéed my asparagus and had to stop myself just eating the polenta while the fish finished cooking. Good thing I need to take pictures for you guys - otherwise I would have just eaten it plain - LOL.
I learned a lot about this great little product and will definitely have it again. I will try making it myself and use the tube one for fries next time I think. 2 SPOONS UP!!




No comments:
Post a Comment