CALORIES DO NOT = POINTS
Recently there has been a lot of discussion about meeting a WW daily points target, but still being under in calories - in some cases, by quite a lot.
This is very true, especially on SmartPoints and Freestyle where sugar factors into the Points value but wouldn't change your caloric value. They are not the same and understanding the difference will really help some people.
The more processed, sweetened, fried, fast food type things you eat - the higher your points value. The photo example here shows 3 items - all the same calories but VERY different in points...
It isn't like the old original program where 50cal = 1pt. It just doesn't calculate like that any more.
But why care?
Well in my case, I know people don't understand how I can eat like I do and still be fat but it is such a complicated process with whatever is going on medically, that it just is what it is right now.
So I'm going to do things a little differently for a few weeks. My meals will be the same but instead of tracking (or not) on Simply Filling, I need to check back in with my calorie count for a few weeks.
One thing I have been aware of, but not focused on in the last year, is that I'm often not eating enough calories in a day to meet my daily caloric target.
My meds cause a general nausea so I am rarely hungry, like actual hunger + I've spent the last year learning to eat mindfully and only to hunger signals but this can be difficult when you don't get hungry often. I know... #FirstWorldProblems...
I have spoken to my doc, dieticians at the gym, people I respect and value the knowledge of online and have done months of my own research.
So now it is time for the next line of -
🍎EXPERIMENTS IN EATING - CALORIE COUNTING EDITION
Here is a breakdown of the process for anyone who is having trouble or just curious.
The AHA recommends the average person (of which they define as a 150lb in a female) to have a 2000 calorie/day diet. To lose weight, it is recommended that we reduce those calories by 500-750/day.
But this doesn't factor in anything other than a base numeric for "average".
This is probably my favorite calculator for figuring out your daily caloric target taking everything from age to activity level into consideration.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-calories-per-day
According to that (and confirmed by numerous other sources) I should be eating between 1300-1750 calories/day.
When I look at the settings in iTrackBites - it offers 1558 calories as a daily target with a goal of 1.5lbs/wk loss. So a good average in line with the calculator.
If you aren't familiar with this app BTW - it is an awesome option to do any of the WW programs going back to the original 123 Success/Momentum plan or plain calorie and macro counting. The new redesign is fantastic and it just keeps getting better.
Here is my Coaches link if you want to try it out. Daily posted screenshots will give you an idea of what is like...
https://itrackbites.onelink.me/Q8p5/LisaWood
Okay so anyway - starting tomorrow, I'm still going to follow Simply Filling principals and attend my WW and TOPS meetings - nothing is changing there - I am just going to track things differently.
In my meal planning - I look at what I have that needs to be used that week and find ideas that use those things if possible. So I still have on the board:
🔸Udon/Pho Noodle Bowl
🔸Cornish Hen w/ Stuffing
🔸Super Nachos w/ Fresh Pico
🔸Greek Brie Mac & Cheese
🔸Zucchini Fritters w/ Avocado Sauce
🔸WW Salisbury Steak w/ Mushroom
One of the recommendations for both Insulin Resistance and Metabolic Syndrome is to eat more frequently, in smaller amounts.
HOBBIT EATING!
Right now I am bad at it getting to 5.00 and I haven't eaten anything... then eating one main meal... I need to plan to eat at least something small earlier - which after awhile may mean I am actually hungry if my metabolism wake up... Lol
So I think the compromise is this...
Daily Caloric Target - 1558
Eat 3-4 meals/day
Eat from 12-8 if possible
12.00-Fruit/Light Snack
3.00-Brunch
5.00-Fruit/Snack
8.00 - Dinner
It doesn't have to be those times exactly but it gives me a guide to aim for.
I'm going to run this experiment for at least two weeks. Eating the same as I had planned to but just aiming to complete my calorie goal.
Let the number crunching begin!



No comments:
Post a Comment