Saturday, January 5, 2019

WAFFLED MACKEREL CAKES

🥄🥄🥄🥄 [4 Spoons Up]
-------------------------------
🔹 = 💯 Simply Filling
🔪 = meal prepped item
 = pointed item
-------------------------------
This was a beautiful brunch. I would definitely make again.

MACKEREL CAKES
Based on this recipe (which calls for Salmon but any canned fish /crab would work)
https://www.feastingathome.com/salmon-cakes/print/25023
🔹 1x 15oz can Mackerel in Brine, drained
🔹 1x egg
🔹 1tbsp Kraft F/F Mayo
🔹 2tsp Dijon Mustard
🔹 2x Scallions
🔹 1/2cup SF Breadcrumbs
To taste
🔹 Garlic Powder
🔹 Lemon Juice
🔹 Salt/Pepper
🔹 Fresh Cilantro



NOTES:
🔸 I debone my mackerel but you don't have to. It's just a personal preference. The recipe calls for a 7-8oz can but I used a 15oz can with the adjustments above. This will make 6 waffles.
🔸 I added Dijon Mustard
Combine all in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for about 10min while you make your salad.
When ready, spray a mini waffle iron with cooking spray, make an appropriate size cake and cook 3-5min (depending on your particular waffle iron). Top with a squeeze of fresh lemon, or Tzaziki, or Hot Sauce or I guess even Tarter Sauce or Ketchup if that's your thing.
-------------------


RED CABBAGE SLAW w/ ASIAN DRESSING
Based on this recipe:
https://www.feastingathome.com/asian-slaw/print/25058
🔪 SLAW BASE (to also be used in Fish Tacos)
🔹 Purple Cabbage
🔹 Carrot
🔹 Scallions
🔹 Red Bell Pepper
🔹 Fresh Cilantro
🔸 Edamame (added to individual serving)

ASIAN SOY & SESAME DRESSING
I omitted the olive oil and salt, doubled the soy sauce and used less rice vinegar/agave in my version. It was VERY tasty 👅!
I will say I am not a fan of oil in my dresings/food - texturally or for flavor and this was no exception - next time I will cut the Sesame Oil down to 1tsp instead of 1tbsp.
🔹 2tbsp Light Soy Sauce
🔹 3tbsp Rice Vinegar
🔹 1x Garlic Clove
🔹 1tbsp Fresh Ginger, grated
🔹 1tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
 1tbsp Sesame Oil
 2tbsp Agave Nectar/Honey*
[*You could probably just use a sugar substitute of some sort in place of the agave/honey, but I can't have artificial or processed sweeteners so I just use the real stuff 🍯]
The dressing made plenty for multiple servings. Probably 4, by my estimate, depending on how big a serving you have. I spooned 2tbsp over my slaw and let it sit in the bowl while I cooked my waffle cakes.

The slaw is light, bright, crunchy and tart with the dressing and the waffle cakes were crisp on the outside and flakey inside. I had one with some Tzaziki and the other with Valentina Hot Sauce (yes, I'm getting addicted LOL)

Overall a very nice brunch I would definitely repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment